Travel through the enchanting landscapes of the Chianti area, and enjoy a unique experience of Siena. Discover its magnificent Cathedral and the secrets of its Contrade. Go on a journey through time in the walled town of San Gimignano, where you can taste some renowned local wines and traditional homemade sweets.
Start with an excursion through the delightful hills of the Chianti countryside and enjoy the scenery of vineyards and olive trees as you make your way to Siena where you will go on a guided tour of the old city center. Walk along the small medieval streets and admire the splendid buildings. Visit the interior of the Cathedral* as well as the Libreria Piccolomini.
The guided visit continues with a tour in a Museum and an Oratory of a Contrada**, where you can experience the authentic atmosphere of the town. The Contrade (districts into which the town is divided) are the real core of the local social life, where inhabitants of each district compete with each other as they devote themselves to preparations for the well-known Palio horse-race. The contrada is not simply a district: it is a small state having its own legacy of traditions, memories and emotions, including its own flag and anthem. The Museum of a contrada, as well as its Oratory, is therefore the heart of the district. This is an intimate and secret place - with exclusive access - containing historical documents and wonderful relics of the famous Palio, as well as magnificent works of art which are normally not disclosed to the public. In other words, a truly exclusive and valuable experience.
The guided tour of Siena ends in its most beautiful square, Piazza del Campo, of which the Palazzo Pubblico (town hall) is the focal point.
You will have free time for lunch (not included) before departing for San Gimignano, a tiny city that has remained intact through the centuries. It is situated on a hilltop and famous for its numerous towers, frescoes and other art treasures. You will have free time to explore this fascinating city.
Visit a small and fascinating museum inside a medieval palace. A local guide will introduce you to the history and traditions of this wonderful town through a faithful and evocative reconstruction of how it was in the XIV century. Moreover, you will be able to watch how skilled craftsmen produce handmade objects according to a long standing tradition of excellence. When the guided visit concludes, you will enjoy a delicious tasting of fragrant Sienese homemade sweets of medieval tradition (ricciarelli, panforte) and famous local wines among which the Vernaccia of San Gimignano.
Finally, you will have some free time to discover this lovely town at your own pace.
On the 1st of April 2014
, tour will begin inside the wonderful Basilica of San Domenico, the treasure chest of Renaissance dedicated to St. Caterine of Siena which has a relic.
The Basilica stands on a hill, where you can enjoy one of the most beautiful views of this ancient Town
with its breathtaking monuments which will be visited during the guided walking tour in the old city center, including the Cathedral which will be visited externally.
- Excursion through hills of Chianti
- Siena - Cathedral - Libreria Piccolomini - Museum and an Oratory of a Contrada Piazza del Campo
- Free time for lunch (lunch is not included)
- San Gimignano - museum visit - Sienese sweets and Vernaccia wine tasting
- Tour escort
- Local Guide
- Museum entrance fees
- Meals and drinks unless specified
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal expenses
- Optional activity costs
- Children below 2 years old are free of charge.
-*On Sundays and National Holidays, The Cathedral is closed to the public; it is replaced with the Basilica of San Domenico.
-**When the Museum and the Oratory of the Contrada are not accessible, the visit will include the Opera del Duomo Museum (Cathedral's Museum) or another site of particular historic and cultural interest.
- Headphones for guided visits to museums will be provided for groups of at least 15 participants.
- This tour has a 2 passenger minimum requirement for operation and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. Please call at least 24 hours prior to departure to confirm schedule.
- Spanish guided tours are available with a minimum of two passengers in high season and four passengers in low season. French, German, and Italian guided tours can be operated with a minimum of four passengers. Other languages (Russian, Japanese, etc) are also available at an additional cost and with a minimum of four passengers.